School community and location
Mundubbera State P-10 is situated in the Central Burnett District, 200 km west of Maryborough and 400 km north of Brisbane. It is the centre of a strong citrus growing area, and is further supported by dairying, pig raising, grazing, grain growing, stone fruits, table grapes and crash crops. The town has a locally owned and operated juice factory, a saw mill, transport depot and feed mill, which all generate employment. The town has good banking, shopping, accommodation, recreational and entertainment facilities and a tourist attraction.
Mundubbera school first opened in 1913 at the old site bounded by Stuart-Russell, Mahoney and Leichhardt Streets. It remained in operation until the secondary department was built on the present site in Bunce Street in 1963, followed by the primary classroom blocks in 1980. Mundubbera school now operates as Mundubbera State P-10 on a joint campus that includes a Special Education Unit (0 – 19 years).
The present student population is drawn from the rural centre. Approximately half of the school’s population is drawn from outside the town area. These students travel to school by bus. The children stem from a range of socio-economic backgrounds (orchardists, property owners, labourers, itinerant workers) but are culturally relatively homogenous (Anglo-Celtic). Less than 8% of the school population is of an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander background. Enrolments have stabilised in the past couple of years following considerable growth as a result of the favourable agricultural industries. The town is also home to a significant tongan population, both nationals and seasonal workers under a federally funded south pacific employment program.
Features of the school include a strong emphasis on Vocational Education and Training (VET) programs, Agricultural Science and an Advanced Maths program.